It's often difficult or cumbersome to tell if images have alternative text on Twitter or TweetDeck. Alternative (or alt) text is used to describe images for those who can't see the image, making them more accessible.
This extension shows which images are missing alternative text, and displays the alt text below the images when available.
The extension also warns users when images in a tweet have no alt text when tweeting, and you can choose to disable the button entirely when alt text is missing, requiring you to add descriptions before you can tweet.
Note: on TweetDeck descriptions are not displayed on GIFs.
How does it work?
Install the extension on Chrome, Firefox, or Edge by downloading the correct version:
If needed, enable the extension, and you're done!
To customize your experience you can change options by clicking the extension icon in your browser's toolbar, or through the extension manager of your browser.
Currently the extension has the following features (accurate for version 0.6 and above)
When reading tweets
- Shows a red "No alt" label in the top left corner of images missing a description, this can be turned off
- Displays the description of images below the images in the tweet, this can be hidden behind a button, or turned off entirely
- Works on photos and animated GIFs for Twitter
- Only works on photos where Tweetdeck includes the image descriptions (not on GIFs)
- It should not impact the use of screen readers
When composing tweets
- Shows hard to miss a red "No alt" label in the "send tweet" button when images lack alt text, this can be turned off
- Choose to disable the tweet button entirely when images lack alt text
Update: 0.6 (19-05-2021)
- Added options to customize the extension, all functions can be turn off individually
- Added an option to disable the tweet button when images miss a description while writing a tweet
- Added an optional light mode to the displayed alt text
- Some visual changed to (groups of) alt text
- Fixed unintentially flagging videos as images missing description while writing a tweet
- Made sure all tweet buttons are synchronised when composing a thread
- Code restructured and further optimized
Update: 0.5 (14-05-2021)
- Added checking of alt text while writing tweets
- A few small optimizations
Update: 0.4 (13-04-2021)
- Improved the style on the displayed alt text for better readability
Update: 0.3 (27-02-2021)
- Fixed an issue preventing alt text from displaying properly on some quote tweets on Twitter
Update: 0.2 (26-02-2021)
- Prevented "null" appearing below YouTube previews on Tweetdeck
- Fixed positioning of alt text on Twitter on tweets with multiple described images
- Fixed positioning of alt text on Twitter on quote tweets with described images in the tweet and quoted tweet
Can I see the source code?
Absolutely, you can take a look at the code whether you want to learn or check for potential issues with your own plugins. On that page the code is divided in segments with additional comments.
Questions or suggestions
If you have questions about, or suggestions for the extension, you can let me know on Twitter.
In case you are so inclined, you can buy me a coffee here to show you support. It's not needed, but always appreciated.